Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent + Cleaners

Do you ever walk down the cleaning and laundry products aisle at the grocery store and it literally takes your breath away? This happens to me and in turn I worry about all the harsh chemicals I use in my home to keep it clean and "fresh" smelling. Tired of all the unnecessary fumes, lately I've been experimenting with DIY home cleaners.

I created a Pinterest board called Homemade Life Tips to collect some of the many articles I've come across in the search for more natural cleaners and tips. My favorite of all the recipes is this cleaner designed for hardwood floors but also works great on tile and as an all-purpose cleaner.


I use this on my wood (laminate) floors and on my tile floors along with a Mr. Clean Microfiber Wet/Dry Mop (purchased from the dollar store) after vacuuming or sweeping. When I'm done I can throw the microfiber cover in the washer and reuse. I keep a couple of covers laundered and ready to use. I've also used this spray on my countertops, to wipe up spills in the fridge, and to wipe down my kitchen sink.

Another product that I've made is my own laundry detergent based off recipes from here, here, and here.


1) Gather ingredients and tools (grater or blender, cutting board or bowl, and a jar).


2) Grate soap bar and place grated soap in jar.


3) Measure borax and add to jar.


4) Measure washing soda and add to jar.


5) Add scent (optional).


6) Place lid on jar and shake to combine.


Recipe is for 32-64 loads. Use 1 tablespoon per load, slightly more for dirtier laundry.
FYI: Eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, and peppermint essential oils have antimicrobial properties (as do many other plant oils).

It takes a bit to get used to of not having foamy, bubbly detergent but my clothes smell fresh and clean and I'm saving money too! I want to try out Dr. Bronner's on the next round so see which one I prefer.

Instead of the perfumed fabric softener sheets or liquid, this is all you need:


Next, I plan to try out this scrumptious recipe for rosemary mint fabric softener.

There are limitless uses for vinegar and baking soda in the home.

One I tried today with vinegar is a makeup brush cleaner:


I've used this one to clean my glass stovetop and this one to clean my sink. I plan to try this one to clean my stove air filter, scrub my tubs, clean my toilets, freshen my dishwasher, and this one to clean my fruits and veggies.

One of the most genius ideas I've come across and now use is this one to clean the shower.


You can multi-task by cleaning and taking a shower!

What are some great tips and recipes you use or have stumbled upon?

Always,



*UPDATE*
I made the Rosemary + Mint Fabric Softener! My review is posted here.

No comments: