Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Observations Through A Child's Eyes

There is more to life than increasing its speed.  ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

image credit
I was reading this guest blog post on Roots of She earlier, The Lost Art of Noticing, and it really made me stop and reflect on how I spend so much of my time rush, rush, rushing through my tasks, days, and life. We’re always in such a hurry to get nowhere fast yet we miss out on so many of the small, beautiful details in our lives. 

It reminded me of when my son was little, now 11, and he would be amazed by the most common things. Well, common to me. But to him they were the most amazing things. I was stationed in Virginia when he was a toddler and I remember the first time snow ever fell on his little head. He had that look of, “What? What was that?” and looked up so curiously, as if the sky was falling. I remember him sticking his tiny little hands out and investigating this strange substance that was lightly coating his jacket. What I wouldn’t give to have that sense of wonder in my life again! 

I also remember when he would eat goldfish crackers and would gingerly pick up each fish, give it a once over, carefully place it in his mouth, and taste, really taste each morsel. You would have thought those goldfish crackers were filet mignon! He deliberately savored the whole experience and then relished each goldfish as if it was the very first one.

Do you ever intentionally stop what you’re doing to delight in the simple pleasures of life? Do you ever view your world through child-like eyes (as I mentioned earlier)? 

Maybe we should take more time to explore our miraculous senses.

What do you see? Name 5 things.
What do you hear? Is it distracting or soothing?
What do you taste? What does it taste like?
What can you touch near you? How does it feel?
What do you smell? Is it pleasant or offensive?

Slow down, there's no rush to the finish line. Take the time observe the world with the wonder of child's eyes.


Much Love,

No comments: