Saturday, July 7, 2012

Gifted

There’s something important that I came to the realization of not long ago. I’m an overly sensitive person and I always thought of it as a fault, a curse. But the more cruelty and hatred I see in the world the more I realize that my sensitivity is a gift. I care about people and my heart aches for them when they're going through despair. How is that a bad thing?

I tend to pick up on the energy of others and sometimes I feel their sadness. Usually I carry their sadness with me. Instead of it making me sad I need to learn how to use that energy and send them warm, loving energy to comfort them through the sadness.

This is such a revelation to me because I really did think this was a curse. I disliked this part of myself and wished I didn’t wear my heart on my sleeve. I’ve been looking at it the wrong way all this time. It really is a gift, to be able to love others freely and send them exactly what they need. That, my friend, is a beautiful gift that I never realized I had.

What gifts do you have that you once felt were a burden?

Hugs,

2 comments:

Robyn (RedDogGirl) said...

I am with you! I have been told from a very young age that I was "too emotional" and that that was a bad thing. My mother would also off-handily say "you are so creative" but more with a sneer of disappointment than of pride.

After many years and much effort I am finally at a place where I know that my sensitivity to the emotion around me and my ability to express myself AND my ability to be creative in many ways ARE BOTH GREAT GIFTS!

You are a gift Amanda - and I am so glad to have met you!

Amanda St.Clair said...

They are beautiful gifts, Robyn, as are you!