Monday, October 15, 2012

More than meets the eye


image credit
There have been many discussions lately on body size and body image. Especially with the news story of Jennifer Livingston the newscaster from Wisconsin who was criticized for her size. (BTW - What gives someone the right to critique her just because she’s in the public eye.) Anyway, I felt like it was time to discuss this on a personal level even though it’s generally something I would rather be the elephant in the room.

I truly believe that the most attractive feature of a person in what’s on the inside, their true inner beauty. No matter your size, shape, genetics, etc. if you are filled with love and kindness you are a beautiful person. Have you ever met someone who had good looks outwardly but as soon as they opened their mouth it ruined the whole image? You know, they were mean-spirited or smug and you no longer saw their outward appearance. Instead you saw their inner unattractiveness. They no longer had the same appeal they did at first glance.

image credit
Unfortunately, society generally bases a person’s worth solely on what the eye can see. Regrettably, we also tend to judge our own selves by this same standard. The truth is – we are so much more than that. Our beauty runs so much deeper than our outward shell. The core of who you are, your essence, your heart, and your soul, cannot be viewed with the naked eye.

These words that I type are words that I’m trying to remember each day as my own truth. I’ve struggled with my body image for a far back as I can remember. For the past few years, you can add my weight/body size to the ever-growing list of personal struggles. This is a delicate and private battle that I’ve endured and my self-worth has suffered the most.

I don’t want to live in shame. I have no reason to be embarrassed or uncomfortable. I’m the same person I was two years ago and I’ll be the same person two years from now (hopefully a little bit wiser!). This body, this shell, is not who I am. I dress it and decorate it and cover it in war paint to hide my battle scars. It is the mask that I hide behind. It is my armor and my shield. It is my vehicle in which I will travel this lifetime within. It is a part of me but it is not ME. It is not my true authentic magnificent self.

image credit
I am so deeply amazed by the incredible women who have spoken up lately about how this news story personally touched them and their bravery in sharing their own stories with the community. We have to be here for each other and build each other up. When we embrace each other and acknowledge our shame, the shame no longer controls us and the healing can begin.

You are beautiful.

image credit
Hugs,



P.S.
If you don’t believe me, read these stories:
Kind Over Matter
Vivienne McMaster
Her Holistic Health

2 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

I have been told that I am beautiful quite a few times in recent months, by close friends, and by the man I love. I am starting to believe it most days. ;-)
You are beautiful, whole, and oh so shiny, Amanda ! Love and light to you !

Anonymous said...

What wise and beautiful words.

I had a recent experience which reminded me, that people are people, even if you cannot see their value, someone out there does value this person, as they exist in the moment. There is no need to be unkind or cruel. It amazes me hurtful people can be under the guise of they are entitled to their opinion, etc...

I feel that practicing kindness towards ourselves can help us, and help the world. Thank you for the kindness you have spread thru the images you included and your wise words.