Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10.
I've seen several melted crayon mobiles around Pinterest and just couldn't resist giving it a whirl.
I picked out my color palette and shaved the crayons with a utility knife over a piece of wax paper.
I spread the shavings around to separate them, laid another piece of wax paper on top, and folded the edges in to keep the contents inside the "envelope". I used an iron on the low setting to melt the shavings and work them around the paper until completely melted.
Once cool, I drew butterflies on top of the wax paper and cut them out. I punched a small hole in the top of each butterfly and pulled a thread through the holes. I had decided to use four strands and limited the number of butterflies per strand, but they also look really cute with tons of butterflies. It helps to add a knot under each butterfly to keep them in place. Once your strands are complete tie each strand to an embroidery hoop. I tied the thread in a cross pattern over the top of the hoop to make hanging easier. Also, I used DMC embroidery floss which may not have been the best idea because my knots kept trying to untie (a drop of hot glue fixed that!). It also helps to sink a counterweight on the hoop due to one side having the tightening doodad. I decided to live with the crookedness. :-)
P.S. I added a couple new prints to my Etsy shop.